Did you know that winter is one of the busiest times for towing in Perth? So, with winter just around the corner, we thought it would be a good idea to give you our top tips for avoiding a winter breakdown. Many motorists don’t realise how simple it is to prepare their car for the cold weather, but with a bit of preparation, you should avoid having to call out our Perth towing service!!
Check Your Battery
Batteries are more likely to fail in winter because they have to work harder. Flat batteries are one of the major reasons Perth towing companies are called upon. So what can you do to avoid a battery breakdown? The RAC recommends the following:
- If your battery is more than 3 years old, listen carefully to the engine when you start your car. If your car sounds sluggish, do something about it. Sluggish sounds are a major warning sign of battery failure.
- Ensure battery connections are tight and that there are no broken wires
- Clean your terminals if they appear dirty and coat them in petroleum jelly to prevent corrosion.
- Check the water levels regularly (if yours isn’t permanently sealed)
- Service your car regularly
Worn tyres are dangerous and are one of the leading causes of accidents. All tyres should have a minimum 2mm of tread and have their alignment checked by a professional on a regular basis. Rotation and proper alignment prevent tyres from developing an uneven tread, which can cause your car to have less grip on the road, and you less control. Also, ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure (including the spare!).
Lights and Brakes
Winter equals short days, so it’s important to check that all your lights are working. Keep the lamps clean and look closely at the lenses for any cracks. We don’t need to tell you how important breaks are but do remember that wet and icy roads extend your stopping distance. If your brakes are worn, this distance extends even further. Take your car in for regular servicing, and if your mechanic says you need new pads, make sure you listen!
If worst comes to worst and you do breakdown, call Performance Towing WA. We are the leading Perth towing company, covering all suburbs including Scarborough, Innaloo, North Beach, Cottesloe and Karrinyup.
You can read the RAC’s comprehensive guide to preparing for winter here